Perseverance

We spurn despair and strive to complete tasks to the best of our abilities, regardless of the difficulty. We respond creatively to overcome obstacles and ask for help when necessary.

Quote of the Week

“So be sure when you step, step with care and great tact. And remember that life’s a Great Balancing Act. And will you succeed? Yes! You will indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed!) Kid, you’ll move mountains!”

~Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You’ll Go

Monday, November 19, 2012

On Beauty


This morning during our Literature lesson, we read Julius Lester’s Caldecott winner, John Henry. I read this book aloud to model monitoring for hyperbole (the use of exaggeration for effect). This story is truly a wonderful one about the legend of the ex-slave and truly indomitable human spirit, John Henry.
There is a quote from the book that the students and I found truly beautiful and moving. I would like to share it with you.

Upon John Henry’s death in the story, the texts proceeds with, “Then something strange happened. Afterward, folks swore the rainbow whispered it. I don’t know. But whether it was a whisper or a thought, everyone had the same knowing at the same moment: “Dying ain’t important. Everybody does that. What matters is how well you do your living.”

It is a truly invaluable moment when children discover beauty in literature. J